Saturday, December 30, 2006

More Snow Play


It snowed for two solid days, dumping nearly 2 feet of snow at our house. Here in Albuquerque, we talk for weeks about it snowing for two solid hours, and an inch of white stuff delays school and government. The past record for snowfall in a day was 9 inches; the airport got 11 yesterday, and then it snowed another 24 hours. So we are all astounded and we all believe in climate change.

When the snow finally tapered off this evening, my son, noting that the pile of snow under the eves looked a bit like a dragon, went out to help nature out. I went out to play Sculptor's helper, and the product, a 20 foot snow sculpture.

What I thought about as I obediently packed snow and made snow spikes with my pruning saw was that there's something about snow that brings out the playful in people. Yesterday, I got out my Cross country skies and skied over to the park and got more smiles and comments than in the rest of my 18 years in this neighborhood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! We expect an occasional snowfall measured in feet rather than inches, but there?...Wow.
Have fun.

Berrysmom said...

Sounds like fun, Chris.

Here in Pennsylvania we are languishing under warm-ish skies, temperatures every day in the 40's to 50's. Not a fleck of snow yet, and we ususally have somewhat snowy winters. It's downright creepy.

Your snow and our lack thereof can both be attributed to global climate change.

J

Berrysmom said...

Hmmm, funny to see that photo of Berry in the snow next to my post, since I'm complaining about no snow.

That picture was taken about 5 years ago when we had a Really Huge snowfall, and Berry's Dad & I had to get up on the garage roof and shovel the snow off before the roof collapsed.