Saturday, November 01, 2008

Election Anxiety

My seat mate on the bus yesterday was reading the paper. The editorial page headline was "Dems Seeing Ghosties and Ghoulies.". The point was that Democrats are so unaccountably anxious about their candidate that they don't believe the polls.

It's a conservative paper, and our liberal afternoon paper has closed within the year making that our only option, and I was annoyed at the innuendo. Then I got to church and all day the liberals in my congregation liberally shared their anxieties with me.

OK. Liberals are anxious. This doesn't have anything to do with their candidate and only a little to do with the worry that polls are wrong because of racism. It has to do with their belief that an election was stolen from them eight years ago and might be stolen from them again.

I don't share this fear, but I'm an optimist by nature and not very anxious as a rule about anything. I understand it. And of all the things that might happen Tuesday, it would certainly be the biggest disaster. Fair and Free elections are a defining feature of a democracy. I think a lot has been done in the past 8 years to solve the problems which surfaced then.

I have my private prayers for the outcome of election day. My public prayer is for our democracy.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: