Sunday, April 05, 2009

More Carnage

Today a man whose wife had told him she was leaving him up and shot his five kids, then himself. That'll teach her..and her sisters with uppity ideas.

The map of deaths caused by men who control "their" women by killing them would be, I imagine, without any green space, such is the rampant nature of this drearily familiar story. It happened in my very neighborhood, and, no doubt it has happened in yours. And it seems possible that at at least many of those deaths could have happened without guns, given the fact that few women can beat off an enraged man. But the idea of a man killing five of his children by, say, stabbing or strangling and then somehow doing away with himself without resort to guns...that staggers the imagination.

My map has a sub text. How many more will have to die because we can't find a way to control handguns in our nation? So I've added Mass Domestic Violence to my map. It's the red markers.

2 comments:

David said...

Having lived many years under Candadian Gun Control laws, then for ten years here in the South, my experience is that I feel much safer here in the South where I can defend myself.

There are lots of guns in Canada, maybe not as many pistols, but a man on a rampage need not have a pistol if a shotgun or a hunting rifle is available.

I feel most vulnerable today in Church or a School or a bar room where it is illegal for me to carry my gun. You (the non armed citizen) should feel vulnerable in those places too, as I cannot defend you there the way I would elsewhere.

Robin Edgar said...

What counts as Mass Domestic Violence?

"But the idea of a man killing five of his children by, say, stabbing or strangling and then somehow doing away with himself without resort to guns...that staggers the imagination."

Well he could bundle his children into his car and drive into a lake or give them an overdose of drugs or something like that. . .