Monday, March 03, 2008

Staying Hip

I turned in my paper calendar for a connected organizer in about 1992. The device was an electronic rolodex. Great little 6 oz machine, but I turned it in a year later for a Palm Pilot. A couple of years ago, I added an MP3 player...wonderful for travel and exercise, and last Summer, I started carrying a cell phone. And I started getting camera envy and realizing how many cool pictures I'd take for this blog if only I carried a camera. I'm not an early adopter, but I am an adopter.

I was also getting tired of lugging a Radio Shack Store around in my purse.

Last week, I bought a Blackberry and lightened my load. (I also lightened my bank account.)

This is an addictive little device which is elegantly designed and has the poorest documentation of any piece of technology I've ever purchased. The English is all impeccable, but there's hardly any of it...the equivalent of a "Getting Started" users guide. Even the downloaded, 300 page users manual doesn't tell us such vital things as which of the 4 ways you can "turn off" your phone is what the airlines mean when they tell you to turn off your phone. If you want to play your music or your games or work on stored documents, you have to have the phone off. Does anybody out there know how to do that?

So, my readers, you can look forward to more pictures and mobile blogging!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From memory (I no longer carry a crackberry), there is a setting somewhere to turn off/on the "radio." That's what the airlines want you to do and leaves the rest of the device completely operable. On the Blackberry I had, there was a little traffic light icon for the radio on/off control.